What strategies to play Blackjack
Blackjack is a popular card game in casinos around the world, it is one of the most popular casino games online, there are different variations of Live Blackjack hosted by dealers. The objective is to obtain a hand whose total value is greater than that of the dealer without exceeding 21.
The aim of the game is to beat the dealer in one of the following ways:
- Obtain a total number of points greater than that of the dealer without exceeding 21.
- Push the dealer to draw cards until his total exceeds 21.
- Get a Blackjack (an ace and a card worth 10 points) with the first two cards, provided the dealer does not also get a Blackjack.
Here are several strategies that can help improve your chances of winning:
Understand the basic rules:
- You and the dealer start with two cards. One of the dealer’s cards is face down.
- The numbered cards are worth their face value, the face cards (kings, queens, jacks) are worth 10, and the ace is worth 1 or 11, at the player’s choice.
- You can “draw” to get additional cards or “stand” to keep your current hand.
- If your hand exceeds 21, you “bust” and automatically lose.
Use the basic strategy:
- Basic strategy is a set of guidelines that tells you how best to play each hand based on the dealer’s face-up card. It minimizes the house edge and increases your chances of winning.
- For example, it is generally advisable to always split aces and 8s, never split 10s or face cards, draw up to 17 if the dealer shows a 7 or more, etc.
- Basic strategy charts are available and can be memorized or used during play at most online casinos.
Manage your bankroll:
- Never bet more than you can afford to lose.
- Set limits on both losses and wins to know when it’s time to get up and leave the table.
Learn to count cards:
- Card counting is an advanced strategy that involves tracking which cards have been played to determine which cards remain in the deck.
- This can give the player an advantage over the casino, but it is difficult to do and requires a lot of practice.
- Be careful, card counting is legal but is not well regarded by casinos who can ban you from playing if they catch you.
- Insurance is an additional option offered when the dealer’s up card is an ace.
- Statistically, taking out insurance is not a good idea because it increases the house edge.
Understanding rule variations:
- The number of decks, when the dealer must “hit” or “stand”, and other rules can vary and influence your strategy.
- Adapt your game to the specific rules of the casino where you are playing.
Control your emotions:
- Don’t let frustration or chasing losses influence you to make bad decisions.
- Stay calm, focused, and stick to your game strategy.
To play online :
- Playing online can be a good way to practice because you can often play for play money before you start playing for real money.
It is important to note that even with the best strategy, blackjack remains a game of chance and there is no guarantee of winning. However, using these strategies can help minimize the house edge and increase your chances of finishing on top in the long run.